A leaked video of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi clearly shows lockdown will be extended
- A new leaked video reportedly shows Modi explaining his rationale for extending the lockdown beyond April 14.
- Modi hints at a consensus among all state Chief Ministers and district collectors on extending the current lockdown.
- India has been on a nationwide lockdown since March 25 to contain the spread of Covid-19 novel
It was supposed to end after 21 days on April 14 but the government is likely to extend the ongoing lockdown, Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said after a meeting with Modi today (April 8).
BIG BREAKING : PM tells opposition leaders that #Lockdown cannot be lifted all at once. Listen to PM in this video… https://t.co/fLoQTcLTC4— Megha Prasad (@MeghaSPrasad) 1586341693000
AdvertisementThe following are the translated excerpts from his video message:
"In the days to come, as you have suggested, let us not lift the lockdown suddenly."
"Even then, the response should be slow and exit must be in different ways in different parts of the country."
"Today, we are talking to Chief Ministers and District Collectors, and no one thinks it is a good idea to lift the lockdown now. "
"I will speak to the Chief Ministers again in the days to come, but the indication right now is that it is not easy to lift the lockdown now."
"We have to take a little more tough measures to ensure social distancing norms are followed."
Advertisement"On the issue of lockdown being lifted, the consensus mood is that it can’t be lifted suddenly. For us, lockdown is the only way to ensure to prolong the life of our citizens."
Public policy strategists list out five ways Indian ‘jugaad’ can maximise resources in the fight against coronavirus pandemic
What is Coronavirus rapid testing and how does it work
- Argentine Football legend Diego Maradona, 60, dead
- Bengal Minister Hakim likely to take part in Covaxin Phase-3 trial
- Headspace to offer unlimited access to students from IIT and IIM in India for six months
- Cyclone Nivar likely to cross coast tonight, TN CM declares one more day holiday
- Delhi's air quality deteriorates to 'severe' category due to slow winds