A third of Canadian study permits went to Indians — so did a fourth of PR statuses
- Canada’s immigration agency approved over 4 lakh study permits this year — including 1.39 lakh to Indian students.
- Overall, Canada granted 14% more permits in 2019 compared to the year before, when it rolled out 3.55 lakh study permits.
- This accounts for almost 68% increase in study permits over the last two years.
- Indians also have a majority share in the number of people getting permanent residency status. Over 85,000 Indians got permanent residency in Canada last year.
Canada’s immigration agency approved over 4 lakh study permits this year — including 1.39 lakh to Indian students, according to a TOI report. This shows that a third of the total study permits granted in 2019 went to Indians.
This is the second consecutive year when the study permits have crossed a lakh. Overall, Canada granted 14% more permits in 2019 compared to the year before with 3.55 lakh study permits.
In the last two years, the number of study permits granted went up by 68%. The study permits granted to Indian students stood at 82,990 in 2017. It is hence safe to say that the inflow of Indians is significantly rising.
Karan Gupta, a study abroad career counsellor told the Times of India, “If a student studies in Canada, he is more likely to land a well-paying job and settle down in the country. This is the primary reason for the numbers going up. The country also has some world-renowned universities such as the
The ability to work in the country is tipping the balance. This may also be because a number of students opting to study at US universities face challenges in obtaining H1-B visas later. According to the
"However, with the UK now offering a two-year work visa, some students who were considering Canada may now opt for the UK,” Gupta said. The country announced a two-year post-study work visa for international students, which will apply to all international students having UK immigration status, and have completed an undergraduate or higher educational degree from any UK university.
“The new graduate route will mean talented international students, whether in science and maths or technology and engineering, can study in the UK and then gain valuable work experience as they go on to build successful careers,” Home Secretary Priti Patel had said.
Meanwhile, Indians also have a majority share in the number of people getting permanent residency status. Over 85,000 Indians got permanent residency in Canada last year. That makes Indians one in four foreigners in the country.
Indian students at London universities rise by 35% — highest in last six years
Over 30,000 Indian students receive UK student visas — more than 270,000 benefited over the last decade
Donald Trump should see the H-1B visa issue differently, says India's IT lobby
- Oppo F17 Pro quick review – slim, light and affordable
- Best ceiling fans in India
- Enola Holmes, Crackdown, Utopia, and other shows that you can binge-watch this weekend
- German researchers identify effective antibodies against SARS-CoV-2
- Income Tax Department introduces faceless income tax appeals, says it will ensure just and fair appeal orders