Agnipath scheme rocks Bihar assembly; opposition calls it PM's dictatorial step
Proceedings began at 11 am, amid vociferous demands by opposition MLAs that the adjournment motion of
Nonetheless, opposition MLAs, many of whom trooped into the well shouting slogans, remained adamant that legislative business for the day be put off and a debate be held on the new scheme of recruitment in armed forces.
This met with disapproval from parliamentary affairs minister
Slogan chanting continued and when some members shouted "down with the Prime Minister's dictatorship", Deputy CM Tarkishor Prasad rose in his chair to object.
"The matter being raised falls outside the purview of the state assembly. Moreover, utterances against the Prime Minister on the floor of the House sets a bad precedent", said Prasad, who is also the BJP's leader in the House.
The Speaker pleaded with the agitated opposition MLAs for a while, pointing in the direction of the visitors' gallery with the remark "children have come to watch the proceedings. Please behave".
However, as the legislators did not relent, the proceedings were adjourned till lunch.
Agnipath protests simmer down, 57,000 applications received in 3 days
The winds of change are changing the fortunes of Indian farmers
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23
- Apple to declare the 12-inch MacBook as obsolete on June 30
- Xiaomi 13 Ultra first impressions: Razor sharp camera in a faux leather-back design