Almost 10 million tourists visited India 2019 — and a quarter of them preferred e-visas
- In 2019, almost 10 million foreign tourists visited India — spending over ₹1,800 billion ( ₹188,364 crore) during January to November period.
- This may be attributed to easy access to e-visas and other government schemes.
- Of the total foreign visitors, over 2.5 million arrived on an e-tourist visa.
- The government undertook over 100 development projects to fulfil the infrastructural demands of Indian tourism, infusing ₹68.75 billion ( ₹6875 crore)
This may be attributed to easy access to e-visas and government schemes. Of the total foreign visitors, over 2.5 million arrived on an e-tourist visa — which grew by 24%.
The government launched a five-year duration visa and one-month e-tourist visa. It also reduced application fee on e-visas. The one-month e-visa now costs between $10 - $25.
“Foreign Exchange Earnings (FEEs) during the period January- November 2019 were ₹188,364 crore as compared to ₹175,407 crore during January to November 2018 registering a growth of 7.4%,” the tourism ministry said.
According to the
These projects are being implemented across the country to develop pilgrimage destinations and other thematic tourism circuits.
India’s rank in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index (TTCI) crawled up 30 spots to rank 34th in 2019 — compared to 65th in 2013.
In the budget session 2019-20, the Indian government also introduced a Tax Refund for Tourists (TRT) scheme, allowing foreigners to spend more.
“This sector has the capacity to boost the economy, foreign exchange earnings and provides a large number of jobs at every level,” the ministry said.
Here are jobs in travel and tourism industry that pay ₹15 lakh and more
Tourism in Antarctica has seen a 50% spike over the past four years, and luxury travel companies are tripping over each other in the race to capitalize on it
AdvertisementISRO selects four IAF pilots for Gaganyaan to train in Russia
Popular on BI
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Crypto hackers now target iPhone users via dating apps like Bumble, Tinder
- HP Envy 14 review: A solid no-frills laptop for productivity and occasional gaming
- How to edit PDF online using your browser
- Consumer demand for bigger homes in Mumbai is rising — is a price hike on the cards?
- CBSE class 10, 12 board exams 2022: Date sheet for term 1 exams to be released today