Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
The state government has always tried to ensure that people get to reap the benefits of MGNREGA scheme, panchayat and rural development minister Pulak Roy said.
"It is true that the Centre has increased the labour budget for West Bengal to 27 crore person-days. It has been our constant endeavour to ensure that the rural masses are not deprived of the benefits of the scheme," Roy said when contacted.
A senior official said that the Centre had allocated 22 crore person-days for the state in the current fiscal, and the West Bengal government successfully generated 24.5 crore man-days by October-end.
Last week, the number rose to 24.84 crore person-days, the official said.
"This success must have prompted the Union government to increase the labour budget," he claimed.
A total of 94.30 lakh individuals were given jobs to create the 24.84 crore person-days, he said.Over 45 per cent man-days were created by engaging women in various jobs, the official added. PTI SCH RMS RMS
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine
- Centre's fiscal deficit at Aug-end touches 36% of full-year target: CGA
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023
- Nifty, Sensex bounce back on Friday but experts see resistance at higher levels
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals