Chief Justice of India will now come under RTI lens, says Supreme Court
- It said that the office of
CJIwill come under Right to Information act ( RTI).
- This means that information can be sought by anybody by filing an application.
- However, Justice Ramana who pronounced the verdict also said that RTI should not be allowed to be used as a tool of surveillance.
“RTI office of
However, Justice Ramana who pronounced the verdict also said that RTI should not be allowed to be used as a tool of surveillance.
"Nobody wants to remain in the state of darkness or keep anybody in the state of darkness. The question is drawing a line. In the name of transparency, you can't destroy the institution," the SC bench said. 2010 or now?
This order mirrors the Delhi High Court judgement which said that judicial independence was not the privilege of a judge but a responsibility. The case was filed by an RTI activist S C Agarwal who had engaged prominent lawyer Prashant Bhushan to file the case.
The controversial case had triggered a debate between transparency and judicial freedom.
Bhushan had famously questioned if judges inhabit a “different universe” and described their reluctance to part information as “disturbing”.
This is the second important judgement that Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi has pronounced in the last week, after AYodhya case order on Saturday (November 9).
- 131 fresh COVID-19 cases in AP; tally touches 3,461
- Singapore reports 506 new COVID-19 cases
- Delhi-Moscow AI flight returns after pilot found COVID-19 positive
- These Indian teenagers have come up with a queue management solution for retailers to ensure people don’t crowd stores
- Android users can share location using Plus Codes in Google Maps
- Air travel Guidelines
- Covid-19 Drug
- Karnataka travel guidelines
- Surat Containment Zones
- Karnataka Lockdown Guidelines
- COVID-19 infections
- Indore corona cases
- Ecommerce Policy
- Coronavirus cases in India
- Coronavirus cases
- Telangana Coronavirus hotspot
- Maharashtra extends lockdown
- Containment Zone in Kolkata
- Pune Containment Zone
- Mukesh Ambani
- Tamilnadu lockdown Guidelines