Tamil Nadu's active coronavirus cases dip by 465 in even as total cases remain over 10,000
- Tamil Nadu currently has 10,227 confirmed coronavirus cases with a dip of 465 in new patients reported in the past 24 hours.
- The state’s capital city, Chennai, continues to be the worst-hit accounting for more than half of the state’s tally with 6,969 confirmed coronavirus cases of which 5,016 are active cases.
- Tamil Nadu chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswani blames the traders at the Koyambedu market for the state’s worsening statistics.
The first coronavirus positive patient in Tamil Nadu was reported on March 7. As of May 16, it is the second worst-affected state in India in terms of active cases. However, its coronavirus fatality rate is considerably lower than its peers at 0.7%.
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Tamil Nadu stands at 10,585 with 477 new cases added to the tally in the past 24 hours.
|Total coronavirus cases||10,585|
|Active coronavirus cases||6,969|
|Recovered coronavirus patients||3,538|
|Deaths due to coronavirus||74|
The state’s capital city, Chennai, has the highest incidence of coronavirus positive patients accounting for more than half of the state’s total tally at 6,271 — with 5,016 active cases, 1,202 recovered patients, and 51 deaths so far.
The total number of coronavirus cases in Tamil Nadu continues to spike as the state reports another three deaths on May 13 — and the state’s chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswani blames the traders of Koyambedu market.
He told district collectors that traders in one of Chennai’s most prolific vegetable markets were reluctant to shift to the outskirts and did not wish to cooperate with the government. He reiterated that the state government has taken stringent measures to control the coronavirus pandemic and is not to blame for the recent surge in cases.
Major updates of coronavirus in Tamil Nadu:
|7 March||First coronavirus positive patient in Tamil Nadu|
|15 March||All colleges and schools shut down|
|20 March||State borders closed down|
|24 March||Section 144 imposed|
|25 March||First patient dies due to coronavirus|
|25 March||Nationwide lockdown comes into effect|
|31 March||Tamil Nadu hits 100 coronavirus cases|
|11 April||First 10 patients die due to coronavirus|
|12 April||Tamil Nadu hits 1000 coronavirus cases|
|15 April||First 100 patients recover from coronavirus|
|21 April||First 500 patients recover from coronavirus|
|25 April||Number of recovered patients crosses number of active cases|
|26 April||First 1000 patients recover from coronavirus|
|28 April||Tamil Nadu reports 2000 deaths due to coronavirus|
|2 May||Number of active cases surpasses recoveries again|
|3 May||Tamil Nadu hits 3000 coronavirus cases|
|5 May||Tamil Nadu hits 4000 coronavirus cases|
|6 May||First 1500 patients recover from coronavirus|
|8 May||Tamil Nadu hits 5000 coronavirus cases|
|11 May||Tamil Nadu hits 8000 coronavirus cases|
District wise division of coronavirus cases in Tamil Nadu:
Source: Health & Family Welfare Department Government of Tamil Nadu
Map of hotspots and red zones in Tamil Nadu:
Coronavirus cases in Haryana news and updates
Coronavirus cases in Kerala news and updates
Coronavirus cases in Maharashtra news and updates
Popular on BI
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
- New Airtel and Reliance Jio prepaid plans compared
- Mobile accessories company Balaji Solutions files initial papers for public listing
- Ratan Tata launches Goodfellows which helps senior citizens make friends
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Concord Biotech files for an IPO
- Ather 450X Gen 3 vs Ola S1 vs TVS iQube S – price, specs and features compared