Coronavirus: Christians pray from home on Good Friday
Before his customary address, Archbishop ThomasD'Souza of the Archdiocese of Kolkata, paid tribute to nurses,and medical practitioners for their service during thecoronavirus outbreak.
Maintaining that people are standing by the distressedat this critical junture, he said, "When the coronavirus hasspread fear, we can see generosity among people at this hour."Pointing out that essential service staff and citizenshave set on a mission to serve the needy at this hour, hesaid, "Listen to the Almighty. Love humans as Jesus said. Itis a life giving pledge that sets us on a mission."Advertisement
The address of Father D'Souza was streamed live fromthe Archbishop's House, and viewed by 12,000 people.
Bishop Paritosh Canning of the Diocese of Kolkata(Church of North India) held Good Friday service from the'Bishop's House' which was streamed live to members of thecommunity.The bishop also urged them to come to the aid of thepoor and elderly.
A CNI spokesman said, services had never been live-streamed in this fashion, as the situation did not warrant so.Principal of St Xavier's College, Rev. Father DominicSavio said, the institute distributed food among poor whilemaintaining distancing norms.The Good Friday prayer service was held in the churchinside St. Xavier's College compound and the faithfuls wereasked to pray from home, Father Savio said.Advertisement
Benjamin, a student living in central Kolkata, said,"My family prayed together at home during the online mass. Weplan to do the same on Sunday."
The Holy Week started on April 5 and will end on April12.Amyt Dutta, another member of the community thankedBishop Canning for his address.Advertisement
"It made us aware of our responsibilities," he said ina post. SUSMM MM
- Continue strict measures in containment zones to arrest COVID-19 spread: Delhi L-G to authorities
- Yes Bank restructures salary of senior leadership team
- COVID-19: 257 more test positive, total 7,823 cases in UP
- Telangana extends lockdown in containment zones till June 30, allows inter-state movement
- Mumbai coronavirus micro containment-zone has 717 areas in 24 wards — here’s the entire list
- Air travel Guidelines
- Lockdown extended
- Karnataka travel guidelines
- Surat Containment Zones
- Karnataka Lockdown Guidelines
- COVID-19 infections
- Indore corona cases
- Ecommerce Policy
- Coronavirus cases in India
- Coronavirus cases
- Telangana Coronavirus hotspot
- Maharashtra extends lockdown
- Containment Zone in Kolkata
- Pune Containment Zone
- Mukesh Ambani
- Tamilnadu lockdown Guidelines