COVID-19 vaccine from Novavax begins late-stage trials in the UK — recruits 10,000 people for the study
- Scientists have been optimistic about
Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccinecandidate after it showed promising results in early studies
- In August, Novavax inked a deal with the UK government for 60 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine.
- In India, Novavax has partnered with the Serum Institute of India to produce 100 million doses of the vaccine.
Maryland-based vaccine maker Novavax said it has begun the late-stage trial of its coronavirus vaccine in the United Kingdom. Novavax is expected to recruit 10,000 people in the UK for a phase 3 trial study.
The company has joined AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and BioNTech SE and Moderna in the final stage of vaccine development. At present, 38 potential vaccine shots are under clinical trials and over 140 other COVID-19 vaccine candidates are in early stages, according to the World Health Organisation.
AdvertisementIn August, Novavax inked a deal with the UK government for 60 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine.
Scientists have been optimistic about Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate after it showed promising results in early studies. There were 131 participants between 18 and 59 years of age in the trial conducted across two sites in Australia who “well-tolerated and elicited robust antibody responses,” according to the company.
The phase 3 trials will further evaluate Novavax’s vaccine candidate.
Novavax plans on enrolling a quarter of its volunteers above the age of 65 and wants to prioritise groups that are most vulnerable to coronavirus.
In India, Novavax has partnered with Serum Institute of India to produce 100 million doses of the vaccine — and says it will supply at least 50% of these within the country. It is also expected to begin India trials of its coronavirus vaccine in late October.
It is also charting out a strategy to conduct a larger study involving 30,000 people in the US. Meanwhile, phase 2 clinical trials of its COVID-19 are underway in South Africa.
AdvertisementIn India, COVID-19 recoveries are surpassing new cases for six days now
- Maha Budget: Rs 12,500 cr package for health institutions
- For women, Maha Budget offers stamp duty concession, special SRPF battalion
- Jeff Bezos' ex-wife MacKenzie Scott - third richest women in the world gets married to a chemistry teacher
- Delhi govt's 'outcome budget' 2020-21: Most projects under Directorate of Education 'on track'
- Maharashtra budget: Plan for hill station in Palghar's Jawhar