Fed up with living in containment zones, mob attacks police
The areas were declared as containment zones last month to curb the spread of COVID-19, police said.
Residents of Mahatab Road and Main Road localities hit the streets, confronted the policemen deployed to enforce containment restrictions and sought to know why the areas should remain sealed for such a long period.
They demanded immediate steps to withdraw the containment zone tag from the areas, a police officer said.
Claiming that they are facing immense hardship because they were kept in illegal confinement, the protesters entered into a heated altercation with the policemen on duty.
Unable to get a favourable response from the police personnel, the crowd manhandled them and pelted them with stones, the officer said.
The protesters also uprooted the barricades that were put up around the containment zones and vandalised a police control room, he said.
As the agitators burnt tyres in the area, some portions of the bamboo barricades caught fire.
At least a dozen policemen and a journalist covering the incident suffered injuries in the attack. All of them were hospitalized.
Additional police personnel were deployed in the area and the protesters were pacified.
"The situation is tense but under control," the police official said.
Sundergarh district Collector Nikhil Pavan Kalyan convened a meeting of the peace committee to resolve the issue.
"It is our prime objective to resolve the issues and we will try to do that. We will listen to the grievances of the people and try to address them. We will hold talks with an open mind. This is not simply a local issue as all of us are fighting a bigger enemy - coronavirus," Collector Kalyan said.The area had been declared a containment zone around a month ago following the detection of some Covid-19 cases. COR SKN SBN NN NN
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life