Fuel prices rise as daily revision resumes after over 80 days
In the national capital, the price of both petrol and diesel was increased by 60 paise to Rs 71.86 and Rs 69.99 per litre, respectively.
Prices of transportation fuel were last revised under the dynamic pricing policy on March 16 and there were few instances of price hike only when the respective state governments hiked VAT or cess.
In a bid to increase revenues during the nationwide lockdown, several state governments raised taxes imposed on transportation fuels.
With the revision, petrol prices in Mumbai,
Similarly, the diesel prices in Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai increased to Mumbai Rs 68.79, Rs 66.17 and Rs 68.74 per litre respectively, up from Rs 68.21, Rs 65.62 and Rs 68.22.
Already, the gap between cost and sale price of petrol and diesel for OMCs has reached around Rs 4-5 per litre. If this has to be covered over a period of time, given there is no further increase in global prices, auto fuel prices may be increased by 40-50 paisa per day for a couple of weeks to cover the losses.
The increase in retail price under daily price revision would largely depend on prevailing oil prices and global oil market at the time to determine the retail price. Going by current trend, crude prices are way above price levels in April when even benchmark Brent crude had slipped below $20 a barrel.
However, lockdown has also curved demand for auto fuel. This could maintain some check on prices.
Raising retail prices became important for OMCs now as the recent steep excise duty hike without resultant increase in petrol and fiscal prices, had substantially brought down its marketing margins from record high level of Rs 12-18 per litre.
If it is unable to raise prices when the global crude prices are rising, it would start incurring losses that will get steeper.
SEE ALSO: The hike in excise duty on petrol and diesel is good news for these two companies
Coronavirus cases in India state wise
Coronavirus News and Updates
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu