India can double coronavirus test kits to 200,000 in a week, thanks to Pune-based Mylabs
- Mylab Discovery Solution became the first Indian company to get commercial approval for a Coronavirus testing kit.
- Mylab’s COVID-19 test kit screens and detects the infection within 2.5 hours as compared with over 7 hours taken by current protocol.
- ICMR currently has 100,000 test kits and Mylabs says it can make another 100,000 in just a week. However, ICMR also ordered 200,000 test kits from Germany.
ICMR currently has 100,000 test kits and Mylabs says it can make another 100,000 in just a week. However, ICMR also ordered 200,000 test kits from Germany.
Indegenous kits faster
The Mylab PathoDetect COVID-19 Qualitative PCR kit was developed in six weeks. These indegenous kits are faster than normal kits. Mylab's kit screens and detects infection within 2.5 hours as compared with over 7 hours taken by the current protocol.
Advertisement"With emphasis on Make in India and support from local and central governments, the COVID-19 kit has been made as per WHO/CDC guidelines. It was developed and evaluated in a record time," Mylab Discovery Solutions MD Hasmukh Rawal said.
With these indigenous kits, the government will spend one-fourth of the current procurement cost. The lab might charge ₹1,200 per kit. However, while an automated PCR test kit can study more than 1,000 patients a day, Mylab’s kit can study only 100 patients.
India is testing the lowest number of people in the world for Covid-19
India faced a lot of backlash for testing fewer people for the Coronavirus. By testing 15 people per million, it is testing the lowest number of people in the world.
The Indian Council of Medical Research initially tested only those people who had travel history and showed symptoms. Later, to expand testing, ICMR roped in 12 more private labs to increase testing. However, these private labs lack approved testing kits that are necessary.
India goes into a complete lockdown in 30 states and union territories
Punjab IAS officers donate salaries as state's infected number hits 23
Popular on BI
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range