India goes into a complete lockdown in 30 states and union territories
- The complete lockdown is in effect in 560 districts in 30 states and union territories.
- Only essential services are allowed during the lockdown.
- People found violating the lockdown can be punished with imprisonment and fines under different sections of the Indian Penal Code.
AdvertisementA total of 31 states and Union Territories covering 548 districts have announced complete lockdown to check the spread of coronavirus, the government said on Monday.
A tweet by the Press Information Bureau said the states which have imposed lockdown in all districts include Chandigarh, Delhi, Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, and Nagaland.
What does a lockdown mean?
A lockdown is an emergency protocol that restricts people from leaving an area. People are required to stay where they are and not leave the building or the given area until the lockdown is lifted.
Only essential services are allowed to operate during the lockdown. People are also prohibited from gathering in one place – the maximum number of persons allowed can vary from state to state, but it is generally in the range of 2-4 people.
Lockdown status in India
|State / UT||Status|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Full lockdown|
|Andhra Pradesh||Full lockdown|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Full lockdown|
|Daman Diu & Dadra & Nagar Haveli||Full lockdown|
|Himachal Pradesh||Full lockdown|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Full lockdown|
|Tamil Nadu||Full lockdown|
|Uttar Pradesh||16 districts|
|West Bengal||Full lockdown|
*Lakshadweep - Only movement of passenger ships banned, Sec 144 imposed.
**Odisha - Full lockdown to be imposed from Tuesday midnight.
***Sikkim - Full lockdown will be imposed in Sikkim from Wednesday 6 am.
With inputs from PTI.
These are the penalties for violating Coronavirus lockdown in India
List of essential services operational during a lockdown
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- Top 5 Places to visit in Munnar
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies