India has 15 pharma billionaires in the top 100 and their net worth is over $85 billion
- Fifteen of India’s top 100 richest belonged to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Their cumulative net worth of these pharma billionaires has doubled to ₹6,35,000 crore (over $90 billion) since 2018.
- These pharma titans make up a tenth of the total net worth ($775 billion) of the top 100 richest people in India today.
It may not be a surprise to many that drug makers made a hell lot of money during the pandemic. Fifteen of India’s top 100 richest people are from the pharmaceutical industry, as per the recently released ‘India’s Top 100 Richest’ list by Forbes.
View all Offers
View all Offers
- 31% OFF
Apple iPhone XR (64GB) - Black₹ 32999₹ 47900Buy On
- 8% OFF
OnePlus 9R 5G (Lake Blue, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 36999₹ 39999Buy On
Samsung Galaxy M51 (Electric Blue, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage) 6 Months Free Screen Replacement for Prime₹ 19999₹ 28999Buy On
- 27% OFF
Samsung Galaxy M12 (Blue,4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) 6000 mAh with 8nm Processor | True 48 MP Quad Camera | 90Hz Refresh Rate₹ 9499₹ 12999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Mi 11X 5G (Celestial Silver 6GB RAM 128GB ROM | SD 870 | DisplayMate A+ rated E4 AMOLED | Upto 18 Months No Cost EMI)₹ 27999₹ 33999Buy On
India's pharma richest cumulatively added nearly $20 billion to their net worth in the span of one year. These top 15 of the pharma industry are now cumulatively worth $85 billion (₹6,35,000 crore) compared to $64 billion in 2020.
|Year||Total net worth of pharma titans in top 100|
|2021||$85 billion (₹6,35,000 crore)|
|2019||$64 billion (₹4,78,371 crore, at current conversion rate)|
|2020||$40 billion (₹2,99,000 crore, at current conversion rate)|
These individuals, and in some cases families, make up a tenth of the total net worth ($775 billion) of the top 100 richest today.
These 15 people do not include Serum Institute of India’s Cyrus Poonawalla and Biocon’s Kiran Majumdar Shaw, who have a net worth of $19 billion and $3.9 billion respectively.
Mukesh Ambani, chairperson and managing director of Reliance Industries, has retained the top spot with a networth of $92.7 billion in 2021. He is followed by Gautam Adani with a net worth of $74.8 billion.
|Spot||People||Business||Net worth 2021||Net worth in 2020||Net worth in 2019|
|14||Dilip Shanghvi||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries||$14.3 billion||$9.5 billion||$7.55 billion|
|19||Murali Divi||Divi's Laboratories||$9.9 billion||$6.5 billion||$3.4 billion|
|25||Sudhir & Samir Mehta||Torrent Group||$7.1 billion||$5.9 billion||$4.15 billion|
|27||Hasmukh Chudgar||Intas Pharmaceuticals||$6.6 billion||$5.4 billion||$4.1billion|
|28||Girdhari Lal Bawri, Rajendra Agarwal and Banwari Lal Bawri||Macleods Pharmaceuticals||$6.5 billion||$5 billion||NA|
|32||Pankaj Patel||Cadila Healthcare||$6.2 billion||$4.55 billion||$2.8 billion|
|34||Singh family||Alkem Laboratories||$5.65 billion||$4.3 billion||$3.18 billion|
|37||Ajay Piramal||Piramal Enterprises||$5.1 billion||$2.89 billion||$2.95 billion|
|43||Leena Tewari||USV||$4.4 billion||$3 billion||$1.9 billion|
|51||Yusuf Hamied||Cipla||$3.91 billion||$3.3 billion||$1.8 billion|
|58||Ramesh Juneja||Mankind Pharma||$3.5 billion||$2.65 billion||$2.3 billion|
|69||Reddy Family||Dr. Reddy's Laboratories||$3.01 billion||$3.25 billion||$1.76 billion|
|75||Gupta family||Lupin||$2.82 billion||$3.2 billion||$2.2 billion|
|90||P.V. Ramprasad Reddy||Aurobindo Pharma||$2.45 billion||$2.9 billion||$2.25 billion|
|94||Dilip & Anand Surana||Micro Labs||$2.25 billion||$1.6 billion||NA|
|Total||$84.69 billion||$63.89 billion||$40 billion|
Titan enters the ₹2 trillion club as gold jewellery and watches are back in vogue with the return of weddings and unbridled festivities
Deepak Nitrite, Aarti Industries, Clean Science and Technology among specialty chemical companies minting money over heat in China
Reliance Retail to run 7-Eleven convenience stores in India
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover
- YouTube is the most-used social media platform by influencers in India: AnyTag report