India witnesses steep rise in crime against women amid lockdown, 587 complaints received: NCW
According to data shared by the NCW, 123 cases of domestic violence were received between February 27 and March 22. In the last 25 days, the commission received 239 more such complaints.
NCW Chairperson Rekha Sharma earlier said that the high number can be attributed to the lockdown imposed due to the coronavirus outbreak which has locked the abuser and the victim together.The nationwide lockdown was declared by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 24 to control the spread of coronavirus.
The highest number of complaints were related to domestic violence. The NCW had launched a WhatsApp number -- 72177135372 -- on April 10 to report domestic violence on an emergency basis during the lockdown.The commission constituted a special team to handle these complaints on a fast track basis.
Since the launch of this dedicated WhatsApp number, a total of 40 messages were received reporting domestic violence, the data showed.The NCW, in a statement, said these messages are first scrutinised and those related to domestic violence amid the lockdown are taken up on priority and to provide immediate security to aggrieved women with the help of state police and administration. UZM SNESNE
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Earth's satellites, power grids and planes may have more time to prepare against the threat of solar flares
- These are India’s top 10 'most livable' cities, according to the government's Ease of Living Index 2020
- Flipkart is reportedly looking to list in US via a blank cheque firm
- Smartphone brand OPPO will launch new fitness band on March 9
- Ahead of its electric three-wheeler launch, EV startup Euler Motors raises ₹30 crore