Indian government promises strictest law to protect women after a horrid rape and murder in Hyderabad
Condemning the gruesome gang rape and murder of a 27-year-old veterinary doctor in Hyderabad last week, Union Defence Minister
As the Deputy Leader of the House, the Minister said "no act could be as inhuman as this incident which happened in Hyderabad".
"Entire country is hurt. All lawmakers cutting across party lines have condemned the incident and demanded to give harsher punishment to the accused involved in the incident.
"After the Nirbhaya incident, a strict law was made and people thought that the number of such incidents would go down," Singh said.
"But, such gruesome acts have been happening continuously."
He told Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to hold a detailed discussion over the issue. "Keeping in sentiments of the House, the government is ready to make necessary changes in the provisions for making stricter law."
The Minister spoke on the issue after the opposition raised the matter for the second time in the House during Zero Hour and various leaders sought strict punishment for the culprits involved in the Hyderabad rape and murder case as well as sought to make a tough law to put a curb on such crimes.
Earlier, the opposition members led by the Congress raised the gang rape issue with the Speaker advising them to take up the matter in Zero Hour.
Soon after the House assembled for the day, several opposition members were on their feet seeking permission from Birla to raise the issue.
The gruesome rape and murder on November 27 in the
- Samsung launches new Galaxy A51 variant at Rs 27,999
- Home delivery of essential medicines can be organised in containment zones: Health min
- NRAI initiates dialogue with mall owners for revenue share model
- Covid 19 to accelerate digital adoption in India
- Passenger on Alliance Air's Delhi-Ludhiana flight tests positive for coronavirus
- Air travel Guidelines
- Aarogya Setu App
- Paytm Payment Bank
- Surat Containment Zones
- Karnataka Lockdown Guidelines
- COVID-19 infections
- Modi’s Stimulus Package
- Ecommerce Policy
- Coronavirus cases in India
- Coronavirus cases
- Telangana Coronavirus hotspot
- Maharashtra extends lockdown
- Containment Zone in Kolkata
- Pune Containment Zone
- Mukesh Ambani
- Tamilnadu lockdown Guidelines