Karwa Chauth 2020: Date, puja time, and everything you need to know
Karwa Chauthis observed year on year on Krishna Paksha Chaturthi (fourth day of moon’s waning phase) in the month of Karthik (October – November)
- On this day, women observe a day-long strict fast praying for the welfare of their husbands.
- This year Karwa Chauth will be celebrated on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, just ten days before Diwali celebrations.
Year on year, Karwa Chauth falls on Krishna Paksha Chaturthi (the fourth day of the moon's waning phase) in the month of Kartika (October – November). In 2020, Karwa Chauth will be observed on Wednesday, November 4, 2020.
AdvertisementThe fasting starts at dawn on Wednesday and concludes with the moon's sighting in the evening after offering puja (worshipping the moon god). The Karwa Chauth puja Muhurat or the most auspicious time to perform the Karwa Chauth puja is 05.34 pm and 06.52 pm on Wednesday, November 4, 2020. The moonrise timing on this day is 08.12 pm.
Karwa Chauth vrat
On the morning of Karwa Chauth, women wake up early and take a holy bath. They then have a sumptuous meal of Sargi, a dish topped with fruits, dry fruits, and sweets. This meal must be eaten before sunrise. After this, the woman fasts the entire day, breaking it only after sighting the moon.
The woman also receives a platter of gifts from her mother’s home filled with clothes, ornaments, gifts, sweets, and a small pot (Karwa). The woman adorns herself with the finest clothes and starts the vrat (day-long fast) after worshipping the sun. In the evening, the Karwa Chauth puja is organized, and the fast is concluded with prayers for the well-being and prosperity of the husband.
Karwa Chauth puja procedure
- Spread a red cloth and place the Karwa (earthen pot) received from your mother's house.
- Decorate the Karwa. Decorate the picture of Ma Parvati (Anant Sowbhagyawati) and offer flowers and tilak.
- Place another karwa with water for the sun god.
- Offer the special dishes prepared for the puja and perform the puja during the Muhurat mentioned.
- At the end of the puja, offer aarti to the goddess' picture and then to the Karwa.
- Once the moon rises in the sky, look at the moon's reflection in the water of Karwa through a sieve. After seeing the moon, look at the face of your husband and touch his feet in reverence.
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) is now amalgamated with DBS Bank India – fund infusion of ₹2,500 crore to follow
- Delhi CM Kejriwal directs private labs to reduce price of RT-PCR tests for COVID-19
- ZEE5 partners with XroadMedia to ramp up its hyper-personalized Video on Demand and social media services
- Rajinikanth to announce decision on active political plunge soon
- Prega News ropes in Anushka Sharma as its brand ambassador