Kashmir elections to come early as Union Cabinet announced Panchayat Raj System for UT
Union Cabinetannounced that Kashmir will have early elections to implement Panchayati Raj System in the union territory.
- The development comes over a year after the Indian government abolished
Jammu and Kashmir’s special status under Article 370.
- The Panchayat Raj System is a three-tier system of governance from village to district.
“They (citizens of Kashmir) will have early elections,” said Union Minister
Last year, the central government abolished Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, which gave the state special status. It also meant that the state would have to abide by the Indian constitution, not its own rules.
The Indian constitution entails that states need to implement the Panchayat Raj System — a three-tier method of governance. It starts at the village level followed by the block level and finally the district level.
It was formalised by the 73rd amendment to the Indian constitution in 1992. The representatives at each level have their own responsibilities when it comes to finalising social-economic development plans, collecting taxes and fees, and funding research studies.
“The power to manage local bodies will go to the people. They will elect their representatives. And those representatives will plan the development of the district,” said Javadekar.
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine learning
EXCLUSIVE: Kumar Mangalam Birla says cement industry is recovering and analysts find evidence of it outside UltraTech too
Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the colour of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23
- Apple to declare the 12-inch MacBook as obsolete on June 30
- Xiaomi 13 Ultra first impressions: Razor sharp camera in a faux leather-back design