Kashmir elections to come early as Union Cabinet announced Panchayat Raj System for UT
Union Cabinetannounced that Kashmir will have early elections to implement Panchayati Raj System in the union territory.
- The development comes over a year after the Indian government abolished
Jammu and Kashmir’s special status under Article 370.
- The Panchayat Raj System is a three-tier system of governance from village to district.
“They (citizens of Kashmir) will have early elections,” said Union Minister
Last year, the central government abolished Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, which gave the state special status. It also meant that the state would have to abide by the Indian constitution, not its own rules.
The Indian constitution entails that states need to implement the Panchayat Raj System — a three-tier method of governance. It starts at the village level followed by the block level and finally the district level.
It was formalised by the 73rd amendment to the Indian constitution in 1992. The representatives at each level have their own responsibilities when it comes to finalising social-economic development plans, collecting taxes and fees, and funding research studies.
“The power to manage local bodies will go to the people. They will elect their representatives. And those representatives will plan the development of the district,” said Javadekar.
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine learning
EXCLUSIVE: Kumar Mangalam Birla says cement industry is recovering and analysts find evidence of it outside UltraTech too
Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the colour of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
Popular on BI
- Over 60 schools in and around Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated safely
- TVS Motor Co sales rise 31% to 3,64,231 units in November
- Johnny Depp unknowingly taught Ranveer Singh the craft of acting
- Midcap index rising for last 21 sessions, hitting fresh highs since November 16
- Global smartwatch shipments up 9% in Q3, Fire-Boltt & Huawei hit new highs: Report