Mumbai's fishing community hit hard by lockdown
Some of the busiest fish markets, including at theSassoon Dock in Colaba, Crawford Market in south Mumbai,Bhaucha Dhakka, or ferry wharf near the Dockyard, the Kasarafish market in neighbouring Thane and others, which used to bebustling with activity and business every day are shut.
Thousands of fishing boats are lying useless and thecommunity members are staring at a financial crisis.
The fish market at the Sassoon Dock alone used toclock a daily turnover of about Rs two crore, but is devoid ofbusiness activity these days.
Over one lakh fishing community members, who werelargely dependent for their livelihood on fish sale at theSassoon Dock and other markets, are finding it difficult tosurvive.
Maharashtra Akhil Bhartiya Koli Mahasangh women's wingmember Naina Patil said over 20,000 women from the communitysell fish in the city to run their families.
"I also sell fish at the Kalina market. But in thewake of the lockdown, all markets are closed and ourbusinesses have stopped. We are now spending our savings tosurvive. If the markets open in future, from where will we getthe money to procure fish for sale."
A few NGOs have come forward to help the fisher folkby providing them essential items, she said.
"But, this is not enough. We demand that the state andthe central government do something for us," Patil said.
Akhil Maharashtra Macchimar Kruti Samiti presidentDamodar Tandel said all the major fish markets and 20 to 25fishing jetty points in the city are shut.
He claimed the fisheries commissioner has laid someconditions for fishing to resume, which are not possible forthem to follow.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol
- Core sector output growth slows to 0.1% as 4 sectors report negative growth rate
- Reliance Capital Committee of Creditor rejects all bids, considering liquidation