Over 25,000 Tablighi Jamaat attendees quarantined after 1,445 test positive from congregation

Over 25,000 Tablighi Jamaat attendees quarantined after 1,445 test positive from congregation
Out of the 4,067 confirmed coronavirus cases in the country, 1,445 have been epidemiologically linked to Tablighi Jamaat congregation at Nizamuddin, while 693 positive cases have been reported in the past 24 hours, the Union Health Ministry said on Monday.

Joint Secretary, Health, Lav Agarwal said total number of confirmed cases in India are 4,067, including 66 foreign nationals. Out of these, 292 have recovered and 109 have died -- with 30 deaths reported on Sunday.

A Ministry of Home Affairs official said 25,500 local members of the Tablighi Jamaat and their contacts have been quarantined. "Five villages in Haryana where foreign nationals, who were connected with Tablighi Jamaat, lived, have been sealed and quarantined," added the home ministry official.

Advertisement

According to Agarwal, 47% cases of positive cases are in people below the age of 40 years, 34% cases in the age group of 40 to 60 years; and 19% cases in above 60 years of age, while people above 60 years account for 63% of all Covid-19 deaths.

He also added 86% young people with comorbid conditions are also susceptible or at high-risk from the coronavirus infection.

Out of total positive cases, men comprise 76% and women 24%, while males account for 73% of total deaths and female the rest 27%).

Advertisement
SEE ALSO: Coronavirus News and Updates

What are the Coronavirus symptoms and how to check for them at home
{{}}