PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline extended to June 30
- The Income Tax department has extended the deadline for linking of PAN with Aadhaar.
- The new deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar is June 30, 2021.
- If any individual fails to link their PAN with Aadhaar before this deadline, their PAN will be marked inoperative.
AdvertisementIn a major relief to users who were unable to link their PAN with their Aadhaar, the Income Tax department today announced the extension of the deadline from March 31 to June 30, 2021.
This was announced by the Income Tax department on Twitter. It cited difficulties faced by users due to the COVID-19 pandemic for the extension of the deadline.
Apart from this, the government has also extended the deadline for the date of issue of notice under Section 148 of Income-tax Act, 1961, passing of consequential order for direction issued by the Dispute Resolution Panel (DRP) and processing of equalisation levy statements to April 30, 2021. Simply put, this is relevant in cases where income of a taxpayer might have escaped the Income Tax department’s assessment.
The government had first announced in 2017 that it would require all individuals to link their PAN with Aadhaar. While it has given several extensions since then, this year it has finally been made mandatory.
If any individual fails to link their PAN with Aadhaar before June 30, their PAN will be marked inoperative and the government could also levy a penalty of up to ₹1,000.
How to link PAN with Aadhaar
1. Open the Income Tax department’s e-filing portal here.
2. Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option on the left, or click here.
3. Now, enter your PAN, Aadhaar number and name as per your Aadhaar card.
4. If your Aadhaar card contains only your year of birth instead of the complete date of birth, check the box, else leave it unchecked.
5. Now, click on the agree checkbox to validate your Aadhaar details with UIDAI.
6. Finally, enter the captcha code and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
After successfully validating your details with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), your PAN-Aadhaar linking will be complete.
This linking process is completely free and can be done in less than 2 minutes.
Lok Sabha passes amendments to Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act — makes Aadhaar mandatory for foreign contribution towards NGOs
You will soon be able to renew your driving license and RC from home with your Aadhaar card: Report
Popular on BI
- People want bigger homes and reopening offices, schools hasn’t altered this trend
- Prime Minister Modi says extension of free ration scheme will benefit crores during the festive season
- Central government employees given 4% hike in DA ahead of Diwali
- Jewellery chains are growing at the cost of standalone jewellers – and it’s only going to get worse, says World Gold Council report
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride