People in HP light 'diyas' on PM's appeal; no immediate report of power tripping
Despite initial apprehensions, there was no immediate report of power tripping in the state.
In state capital Shimla, the district administration sounded a siren exactly at 9 pm.People were seen lighting lamps and candles at their doorsteps and balconies.
Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur and his family members lit lamps at his official residence here to demonstrate a collective will to fight coronavirus in the country, an official spokesperson said.Education Minister Suresh Bhardwaj also lit lamps in his house with his family members, he added.
Firecrackers were also burst and people were heard raising slogans in enthusiasm. Some even recited the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, a verse from the Rigveda chanted for one's rejuvenation, while lighting 'diyas'.The siren was sounded again at 9.09 pm, marking the end of the nine-minute period.In Hamirpur too, people lit 'diyas' and candles on the prime minister's call. Several residents of Anu area burst firecrackers and raised 'Jai Sri Ram' slogans.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Glee.S.T! January 2021 GST collection may have beat the December record
- Simply put, Airtel says all it now needs is spectrum to deliver 5G services at a speed of up to 900 Mbps
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi may just have signalled a big allocation for defence equipment manufacturing, 3 days before the budget
- Haryana government extends suspension of mobile internet services in Sonipat, Jhajjar and Palwal till Friday
- Sourav Ganguly undergoes fresh angioplasty, two more stents implanted