Petrol and diesel see a sharp rise by 19 paise and 21 paise per litre respectively on second consecutive day
This is second increase in fuel prices in as many days as petrol and diesel prices rose by 15 paisa and 18 paisa per litre respectively even on Tuesday after a 18 days break.
With Wednesday's increase, petrol is now being retailed at ₹90.74 a litre and diesel ₹81.12 a litre in the national Capital.
Across the country as well the petrol and diesel price increased on Tuesday but its quantum varied depending on the level of local levies in respective states.
OMCs benchmark retail fuel prices to a 15-day rolling average of global refined products' prices and dollar exchange rate. In the last fortnight global oil prices have hovered in $66-67 a barrel range higher than the levels when petrol and diesel prices were last revised. Crude prices have jumped over $69 a barrel on Wednesday.
The price of the two auto fuels had fallen by 16 paise and 14 paise per litre respectively on April 15 after a 15 day break when OMCs kept its prices static. Thereafter revision of fuel prices have been halted.
The OMCs went on price cut for the first time this year on two consecutive days - March 24 and 25 after keeping oil prices steady for past 24 days. It again reduced the price on March 30. Thereafter, fuel prices have remained unchanged for past 15 days before falling again on April 15. In all petrol prices have fallen by 77 paise per litre while diesel by 74 paise per litre in 2021 so far.
Earlier, petrol and diesel prices increased 26 times in 2021 with the two auto fuels increasing by ₹7.46 and ₹7.60 per litre respectively so far this year.
With global crude prices at over $69 a barrel mark, OMCs may have revise fuel prices upwards again if there is any further firming up.
Indian government gives the nod for 5G trials, Chinese companies kept out for now
Indian coders are working around the CoWIN app to help people bag the elusive vaccine slots
Apple analyst predicts an 8-inch foldable iPhone to launch in 2023
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round
- Rupee may hit 80/$ aided by trifecta of softer rates, cooling crude and stronger macros, say analysts
- Sensex, Nifty50 snap 8-day winning streak amid weak global cues – autos, financial services drag
- These companies are the top 10 employers in India as per Hurun list 2022
- Disney reveals AI tool that can re-age actors