President Ram Nath Kovind approves all three farm bills which have been the reason for farmers' protests across the country
Ram Nath Kovindhas given his assent to the three contentious agricultural Bills that were passed in the Parliament amid protests by opposition parties.
- The Law Ministry has notified all the three Bills which are now laws.
- Many opposition parties including the Congress and the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) had urged the President not to sign the bills after they were passed by the Parliament.
The President signed the Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020, and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020, into law on September 24 and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill on September 26.
The Law Ministry has notified all the three Bills which are now laws.
Many opposition parties including the Congress and the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), which was then part of the ruling alliance, urged the President not to sign the bills after they were passed by the Parliament.
After meeting the President on September 21, SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal said: "We have requested the President against signing the anti-farmer bills that were passed in the Parliament by force. We requested him to send back those bills to the Parliament."
The Akali Dal, whose sole Minister in the Narendra Modi government - Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal - had resigned ahead of voting on the bills in the Lok Sabha, has also exited the National Democratic Alliance on this issue
At an emergency meeting on Saturday night, the party's highest decision-making body took the decision to sever their relations with the BJP and the alliance, because of the Centre's stubborn refusal to give statutory legislative guarantees to protect the assured marketing of farmers' crops at minimum support price (MSP).
On Friday, India saw nationwide
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts
- Gufi Paintal, who played the ‘Shakuni Mama’ role in Mahabharat, dies at 79
- Sakshi Malik withdraws from wrestlers' protest, rejoins her posting in Northern Railway
- Here’s how urban and rural India is spending every ₹100 they earn
- ChatGPT iOS app vs website — The better experience and why