Punjab government is giving away smartphones to students for free on August 12
- The state government had already announced to give
smartphonesto all boys and girls studying in Class 12 of the government schools across the state.
- Chief Minister
Amarinder Singhsaid the government has chosen the auspicious occasion of ' Janmashtami' to launch the scheme.
- Coincidentally, August 12 is also the
International Youth Day, he said.
All district headquarters and some major towns will be covered on this day.
"Not more than 15 students studying in that town/district will be invited at each location for handing over the smartphones," said a government statement.
The state government had already announced to give smartphones to all boys and girls studying in Class 12 of the government schools across the state.
Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said the government has chosen the auspicious occasion of 'Janmashtami' to launch the scheme.
Coincidentally, August 12 is also the International Youth Day, he said.
Singh said the state government would fulfil its promise to people by providing them smartphones, adding these phones will be extremely helpful to the youth in accessing information as well as other learning material posted by the department of school education.
The state government received the first consignment of 50,000 smartphones and the remaining was in the pipeline.
In the first phase, around 1.75 lakh phones would be given.
Before coming to power in 2017, the Congress had promised to give free smartphones to youths in the state.
Trump was rushed from the briefing room by Secret Service after a shooting outside the White House
McKinsey, Facebook, Amazon, Nokia — and some other companies looking for a product manager right now
A WhatsApp message, six weeks of talks and a $300 million deal – how Karan Bajaj sold his less than 18-month old startup White Hat Jr to Byju’s
- Celebrate International Coffee Day with these easy recipes
- Strong listing for CAMS — stock debuts 23% higher than IPO issue price
- Chemcon makes a lot of money for its IPO investors — shares list at double the issue price
- Top stock movers — RIL, PVR, Bajaj Auto, INOX Leisure, ONGC, Oil India and more
- ISRO to carry first-ever French payload abroad Venus mission scheduled for 2025