Surat sees record one-day spike of 307 coronavirus cases
This was the first time the district recorded more than 300 new patients during 24 hours.
The total number of coronavirus cases in Surat district thus went up to 7,581, second highest after Ahmedabad, said an official release.Ahmedabad district reported 162 new patients on Thursday.
Six patients also died in the last 24 hours -- four in the city and two elsewhere in the district. The death toll in the Surat district thus rose to 277.124 coronavirus patients recovered and were given discharge, taking the number of recovered patients in the district to 4,514.
Of 212 new patients in the city, highest 58 were found in Katargam zone, followed by 32 in Varachha-A zone and 30 in Varachha-B, said a release by the Surat Municipal Corporation.Katargam zone of the city is the worst affected area with 1,657 cases so far, followed by 1,144 in Limbayat and 844 in Varachha-A zone. While the SMC has already ordered temporary closure of all the diamond units, paan shops and street food joints in Katargam, Varachha and Sarthana (Varachha-B) areas to stop the spread of virus, it has also issued guidelines for textile markets.
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Apple says one billion iPhones are now active around the world
- Delhi hit with a low intensity earthquake of 2.8 magnitude
- FMCG: The trends to watch out for in 2021
- Railways Budget 2021: Faster trains, higher funding and support for green railways — here’s what’s on the experts’ checklist
- Apple to open retail stores in India, after the success of its online store, says CEO Tim Cook