This Good Friday, people pray outside closed church doors due to Coronavirus lockdown
- Coronavirus pandemic forces churches across India to remain shut on
- Yet, individuals were seen paying their respects from outside closed doors across the country.
- Priests urged their parishioners to stay at home and pray in view of the ongoing lockdown.
In India, Christianity is the third-large religion after Hinduism and Islam with approximately 28 million followers, as per the 2011 Census. Good Friday is a nationwide public holiday when many Christians attend special church services.
In Andhra Pradesh, individuals were seen paying their respects from outside St. Anthony’s Church in Visakhapatnam today morning, April 10.
Devotees were also seen praying in front of the Trinity Lutheran Church at Jagadamba Junction in Visakhapatnam.
Even in Karnataka’s capital city, Bengaluru, followers were seen praying outside a church in Neelasandra.
In Chennai, a priest was spotted giving a sermon in a deserted church on Good Friday. However, in some parts of the city people have been allowed to come to Church but are discouraged from kissing the Cross. They have also been advised to say Namaste instead of shaking hands as a sign of peace.
Another priest embraced social media to broadcast mass on live video using Youtube in order to enforce social distance during the lockdown at the Methodist Church in Bhandup in Mumbai on Good Friday.
Last week, in Aurangabad, the traditional procession that normally takes place a week before Easter Sunday was called off due to the lockdown. Spiritual leaders appealed locals to stay at home and pray to enforce social distancing.
A similar scene was observed outside the Cathedral in Melapudur in Trichy which lay deserted on Palm Sunday. Normally, it hosts a large gathering in commemoration.
At the Jeevamatha Church in Mattancherry in Kerala’s Kochi district, priests offer mass by placing palm leaves — one on every chair — to represent each of the households, which are a part of its parish.
At the Saint Francis Assisi Cathedral in Kochi, archbishop Joseph Kalathiparampi also offered prayers — but without the participation of its members.
Before and after pictures show how the Coronavirus travel ban brought airlines to a grinding halt since March
Paytm makes its insurance debut with a Covid-19 plan that will cover loss of pay during quarantine
Assam reports first Coronavirus death as confirmed cases reach 28
- Oil dependency and carbon emissions — EVs may not be India’s answer to reducing either, say experts
- Facebook removes nearly 200 accounts tied to hate groups
- SEBA class 10th result 2020: Assam board declares the result, check scores @sebaonline.org
- SEBA class 10th result 2020: Assam board to announce result today at 9 am, check @sebaonline.org
- Samsung Galaxy A31 vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Max – Which device should you go for?
- guidelines for Malls
- Lockdown extended
- Telangana lockdown guidelines
- Surat Containment Zones
- Karnataka Lockdown Guidelines
- Delhi Containment Zones
- Indore corona cases
- Ecommerce Policy
- Coronavirus cases in India
- Coronavirus cases
- Telangana Coronavirus hotspot
- Maharashtra lockdown guidelines
- Containment Zone in Kolkata
- Pune Containment Zone
- Punjab lockdown guidelines
- Tamilnadu lockdown Guidelines