Union budget totally ignores Puducherry: Narayanasamy
Addressing reporters, the CM said, "Puducherry is also a poll bound State, but funds have been earmarked for other poll bound states like Kerala, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu in the budget for development of national highways."
Terming as 'unfortunate' the requirements of Puducherry being utterly 'neglected', Narayanasamy said this shows that the NDA government at the Centre pays no attention to the union territory.
"The neglect of Puducherry in the budget is more shocking particularly after BJP national president J P Nadda during a public meeting here claimed that the NDA government was interested in ameliorating the lot of industrial workers and that ration shops would be activated in Puducherry," he said.
Narayanasamy sought to know how the reopening of mills and ration shops could be possible without allocation of funds.
He further said the central budget, presented on Monday by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, did not have any 'laudable' schemes or programmes to benefit students, salaried sections, youth, rural workers, women and farmers.
The Centre would normally earmark every yearRs 3000 crores as grants to facilitate implementation of territorial government's budgetary proposals, he noted.
But, it had earmarked only Rs 1729 crores during the 2021-2022 financial year.
He voiced concern over the Centre 'letting down' rural workers by sideliningthe MGNREGA scheme in allocation of funds in the budget.
Narayanasamy said the Centre's intention to privatise public sector institutions like banks has been confirmed through the budget proposals and this is a dangerous trend which would hit the poorer sections.The Centre should drop once and for all the move to hand over public sector undertakings to private players, he added. COR ROH ROH
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala