Yes Bank scam — Rana Kapoor and family named in CBI charge sheet alongside DHFL’s Wadhwan brothers
- India’s nodal investigation agency, the
Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI), has filed a charge sheet against Yes Bank founder Rana Kapoorand his family members.
- Dewan Housing Finance Limited (DHFL) brothers, Kapil and Dheeraj Wadhawan have also been named.
- There's already an ongoing investigation against the Kapoor's for money laundering filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
Rana Kapoor and
The case was originally registered by the CBI on March 7 on accusations of suspicious loans granted by Yes Bank to companies in exchanges for a quid pro quo between Kapoor and the Wadhawans.
Details of the
According to the apex investigation agency, Yes Bank made investments to the tune of ₹3,700 crore in short debentures of DHFL. DHFL, in turn, granted a loan of ₹600 crore to DUVPL. This loan is suspected to be a kickback in serving Kapoor’s interests since the company is within the family.
Making the transaction even shadier, the CBI alleges that the loan given to DUVPL was based on a mortgage of properties that only had a market value of ₹40 crore. But when taking out the loan, the value was inflacted to reflect as ₹750 crore.
Another loan of ₹750 crore was doled out by Yes Bank to a company which was owned by Wadhawans. This is also under investigation.
Not just cheating and corruption, but also money laundering
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is also looking into the Yes Bank scam and has registered a case of money laundering against the Kapoor’s. It was in considering of this case that Kapoor was first arrested and put in jail — where has he stayed since.
The Wadhawan brothers were out on bail in connection to another money laundering case connected to the late drug smuggler Iqbal Mirchi. However, the brothers and twenty-one others were booked by the Satara police on April 8 for violating lockdown rules and were placed under institutional quarantine for 14 days.
AdvertisementOnce their quarantine ended on April 23, CBI officials took the brothers them custody from their family home in Mahabaleshwar April 26.
On May 6, the ED submitted its own charge sheet against Kapoor, his wife Bindu, and their three daughters under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
Popular on BI
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- Armed Trump supporters protest outside FBI office in Phoenix following Mar-a-Lago raid: reports
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day