Indian economist questions the government’s decision to ban e-cigarettes
Shamika Ravi, a member of the Prime Minister’s Economic Council, said the decision didn’t have health or fiscal grounds.
- Finance Minister
Nirmala Sitharamanhad announced the total ban on e-cigarettes in India.
- However, India is not alone, globally flavoured e-cigarettes have been facing a ban.
AdvertisementThe Indian government’s decision to ban e-cigarettes has brought out a very obvious question from others, “why not ban or tax cigarettes?”
But the surprise came when one of the members from the Prime Minister’s Economic Council Shamika Ravi too questioned the move. She took to Twitter to ask why was there a ban placed on e-cigarettes when the government could have taxed it heavily.
Why ban when you can tax (heavily)? Banning #ecigarettes while keeping tobacco products is bizarre. Neither health… https://t.co/rCC1CTJjQ5— Shamika Ravi (@ShamikaRavi) 1568814225000
She even asked for new evidence on vaping versus smoking in a follow up tweet.
She’s not alone, scores of Twitter users were perplexed about why there was a ban on e-cigarettes when the tobacco products are the real problem.
Still trying to understand how #ecigarettes are more harmful than tobacco cigarettes, bidis, guthka. If one is bann… https://t.co/duBXGBeGIE— Kalikesh Singh Deo (@DeoKalikesh) 1568834885000
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had announced the ban during a cabinet briefing. "Production, manufacturing, import, export, transport, sale,distribution, storage and advertisements related to e-cigarettes are all banned in India. It is banned in all these nine forms,” she said.
A large number of e-cigarette models are available in the market today, even though none of them are produced in India.
However, the ban on e-cigarettes is actually a global phenomenon. The United States of America, which is also home to one of the biggest e-cigarette companies
New York became one of the first states in the US to ban flavoured e-cigarettes and was followed by Michigan.
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May