Indian Railways say over 35,000 animals were killed in train accidents in the last four years
- The Railways witnessed 31 animal deaths per day for four years
- The number has been continuously increasing every year. So far,
train accidentskilled 3,479 animal in 2019.
- Last year, the number of animal deaths stood at 12,625.
All in all, every day, 31 animals died on the tracks for the last three years.
According to the official data, the number has been continuously increasing every year. Train accidents killed 3,479 animals until June this year. Last year, the number stood at 12,625. The animal deaths were no more than 3,000-4,000 in 2014-15.
A senior railway official has earlier said the increasing number of animal deaths was a cause of cause since the number of train accidents was decreasing.
Nearly 2,330 elephants have died on the railway lines in the last six years. (BI link)
The Railway Minister also assured the government that they are taking steps like fencing the area and introducing buzzing bee sound to scare animals away.
- Best yoga mats
- IndiGo to raise ₹4,000 crore through stake sale
- Supreme Court adjourns AGR case hearing to August 14
- ICICI Bank sets floor price for QIP at ₹351.36 per share — to decide on allotment on August 14
- McKinsey, Facebook, Amazon, Nokia — and some other companies looking for a product manager right now