Indian Railway’s vikalp scheme allows passengers to board an alternate train — and avoid the waiting list
This will ensure confirmed berths for passengers on the waiting list in alternate trains. However, the boarding and terminal stops might change to nearby stations according to the train schedule.
The confirmation of seats in the alternative trains will depend on the availability of seats, and cancellation charges will also apply. The alternate options will be considered within a specific time slot — 30 minutes to 72 hours after the scheduled original train.
Regardless of the booking quota — Tatkal reservations and concessions, the Vikalp scheme can be implemented all trains under IRCTC. In case, the passengers want to cancel the alternate train as well, the cancellation policy will apply as for a normal passenger.
The passengers can reach out the IRCTC’s helpline on Call Centre (139) and at www.indianrail.gov.in.
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel
- Google blocks terms associated with hate speech from being used as ad keywords on YouTube
- Mountains, rivers, trout and toddy — Manali offers you all these and more
- E-commerce and digitisation to accelerate India's auto sector growth, says report