India’s online media streaming market has exploded, growing nearly 4 times in just 6 years. Here are the main players
- The number of online content and video streaming platforms in India have jumped from nine in 2012 to 32 in 2018, according to a recent report by Boston Consulting Group.
- In terms of investments,
Hotstarled the way infusing $300 million in 2017 followed by both Netflixand Amazon Prime Videos who spent between $70-80 million each in the same year.
- However, top players in the over-the-top (OTT) market are struggling with maintaining consumers as half of the users uninstall the apps within seven days of installing it.
The number of players competing in India’s OTT market has dramatically increased, growing nearly four times in the last six years from nine players in 2012 to 32 players in 2018, said a recent report by the Boston Consulting Group.
Here are the main players in India online streaming market:
It is not just the number of new entrants in the OTT market, the original content streamed by OTT players is also evolving at a rapid rate. Since a key way to woo the Indian consumer is to generate new original content, most of the players including Netflix, Hotstar and
As a result, the demand for original Indian content lead to ‘burst of big money’ in 2017.
Hotstar, which also has the exclusive rights to stream cricket franchise,
AdvertisementHowever, despite the surge in the OTT market, retention of consumers remains a challenge for all the major players, said the report.
Nearly half of the consumers uninstall online streaming apps within a week of using it for the first time making it difficult for all the video-streaming platforms to compete for the race of top three, added the report.
- OPPO A74 smartphone with 5G support and 90Hz display to launch in India soon, to be priced under ₹20,000
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far