Inside NYC's first 'micro apartment' building, where 60,000 people have applied to live and a 302 square foot market rate unit costs $2,750 a month
If you thought New York apartments were tiny before, you haven't seen anything yet. New York City's first "micro apartments" development - known as Carmel Place - is set to open in February, according to the New York Times.
Developer Monadnock Development first put forth the project - then known as My Micro NY - in a design contest held in 2013 by the city of New York. Under city law, dwellings must be no less than 400 square feet, but Carmel Place's 55 units - which received special permission from then-mayor Michael Bloomberg - will range from 260 to 360 square feet. The smaller end of that range is nearly half the size of the average studio in Manhattan, which currently sits at 550 square feet, according to a report by Douglas Elliman as noted by the New York Times.
Mondanock was allowed to build his microunits partially as a city experiment, and partially to satisfy the ever-growing demand for affordable housing - allowing the first modular prefab constructed building in New York City to rise in the Manhattan neighborhood of Kip's Bay.
Here's what they're like inside.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World