What is Philo TV? Here's everything you need to know about the low-cost TV streaming service
Philo TVis a live and on-demand TV service that offers 60-plus channels with no contract for just $20 a month after a 7-day free trial.
- A Philo TV subscription includes major networks like AMC, Food Network, and Nickelodeon, but no local channels.
- Philo subscribers have unlimited DVR and access to Android, iOS, or Fire tablet apps for watching anytime and anywhere.
- You'll need a working high-speed internet connection and one of a list of compatible devices, which includes a Roku, Apple TV, or supported browser on a Mac or PC.
Cord-cutters have been canceling their cable TV services in increasing numbers due to the ease of online streaming. While services like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video have received the most attention, there are also many streaming platforms that let you watch live and on-demand TV from major cable networks.
One such service is Philo TV, but there are several notable differences between Philo and other TV
What you need to know about Philo TVLike all streaming services, you are billed monthly but can cancel anytime. This flexibility has been the main reason people have left traditional cable and satellite services with mandatory subscription times. Simply sign up on Philo TV's site or through the app using your email or your phone to get started.
Once you've signed up, you can search for programming content in several ways. On the home screen, you get access to on-demand content organized by theme. By clicking on "Guide" along the top bar, you get access to a listing by channel, with upcoming shows lined up horizontally and displayed as individual cells. When you scroll over one show, you get a thumbnail of the program.When you click on a program playing live, you get more information on the program and when it's set to air. If you scroll through the same channel's live listing, you'll have the ability to view other upcoming shows on the same network.
Philo also offers the option to record and play a show at your convenience later by "saving" it to record. If you click to save the show, If saved, it will be added to your "Saved" folder, accessible along the top menu bar. DVR recordings of episodes will be saved for up to 30 days. 79806477
Even more, the service is nearly identical whether viewing TV on your computer or on any of Philo's mobile apps. A wide variety of devices are compatible with Philo TV, including Roku, Apple TV, and desktop browsers on Mac or PC.
How much Philo TV costs, and how it compares to the competition
A Philo TV subscription costs $20 per month, a price that is considerably lower than any other live TV streaming service. As part of the package, subscribers get 63 basic cable channels without local channels or sports channels; it also doesn't include an ad-free option, though you can skip commercials if you've DVRed what you're watching. This is one of the biggest differences between Philo and competition like YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV.Like its competitors, you can stream from multiple devices simultaneously, with up to three people allowed to watch at the same time from the same account. You can also purchase additional channel subscriptions, including three Epix channels for an additional $6 per month and three Starz channels for $9 more per month.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- TTD approves Rs 2,938-crore budget for 2021-22
- Wholesale growth expected to continue for tractors, passenger vehicles and two-wheelers, says equity research firm Emkay
- Centre finalises One District One Focus Product to promote in cluster approach
- A Mumbai-based EV startup launched the cheapest electric car with a 200 km range
- HP's worldwide shipments grow 5.6% in fourth quarter of 2020, says IDC