260 Chinese fishing boats have been spotted off the coast of the Galapagos Islands, and Ecuadorian officials fear they'll harm the area's precious marine life
- A fleet of about 260 Chinese
fishingboats was discovered nearly 200 miles off the coast of the Galapagos Islands.
- Ecuadorian officials say the boats appear every year, and they fear the ships will try to harm the area's precious
marine life, The Guardian reported.
- Oswaldo Jarrin,
Ecuador's defense minister, told Reuters the Navy has been on "alert" since the ships were discovered.
- Jarrin said officials have increased patrolling to the exclusive economic zone's border around the ecologically sensitive islands.
A fleet of about 260 Chinese fishing boats have been spotted nearly 200 miles off the coast of the Galapagos Islands, and Ecuadorian officials fear they could harm the archipelago's precious marine life.
Both officials said that Chinese vessels fish near the Galapagos Islands every year, and this year they're fearing they could see a repeat of 2017, when a Chinese fishing vessel was found in the Galapagos Marine Reserve — a biologically diverse and marine protected area — carrying 330 tons of marine wildlife.
"We are on alert, (conducting) surveillance, patrolling to avoid an incident such as what happened in 2017," Jarrin told Reuters.
Ecuador President Lenín Moreno said over the weekend that he's working to further protect the area."We will work in a regional position to defend and protect the Exclusive Economic Zone around the Galápagos Marine Reserve, one of the richest fishing areas and a hotbed of life for the entire planet," he said in Spanish on Twitter. According to The Guardian, Ecuador is working with Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia to further protect areas around the Galapagos Islands.Advertisement
The Galapagos Islands and their surrounding waters are a UNESCO world heritage site, and are known for their plants and wildlife both on land and in the water, including endangered hammerhead sharks, flamingos, and turtles.
The archipelago was also the inspiration behind scientist Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.
- Read more:
- A giant tortoise that was thought to be extinct for 100 years has been found in a remote part of the Galapagos islands
- Incredible footage of the Galápagos sea lions — the welcoming party of the islands
- These 14 Creatures Are Found Only In The Galapagos Islands
- A Godzilla-like iguana was filmed in the waters of the Galapagos islands
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate nears 70%
- Putin announced that Russia approved a COVID-19 vaccine — and gave it to his daughter — despite serious concerns over its safety
- After 10 years of trying, NASA finally bounced its first-ever laser beam off the lunar orbiter
- Krishna Janmashtami 2020 wishes, messages and quotes
- Reliance-Saudi Aramco $15 billion deal is going through due diligence before final decision