A 16-year-old New York teen was charged after being accused of making threats on social media of a 'massive shooting' at his high school
- A 16-year-old was
chargedafter being accused of threatening to shoot up his high school, local newsreported.
- The teen is facing charges including aggravated harassment and making a terroristic
The unidentified teen was arrested and charged with aggravated harassment and making a terroristic threat, WABC-TV reported.
Local police said that the alleged threat to shoot up Bellport High School located in Brookhaven, New York, was made on Instagram earlier this week, the outlet reported.
The post prompted people to contact authorities who searched the tenth grader's home, NBC New York reported. No weapons were found.
"We take these threats seriously and will devote our resources to ensuring the safety of our children. I thank Suffolk police for their swift action here," Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a press release on Friday. "Upon learning of this threat, they worked with my office to locate and interview the individual responsible for the threat."
The teen was arraigned on Friday and a judge ruled that he "is only allowed home and office visits; no social media; and he will have to submit to alcohol and drug testing," according to the press release.
Tierney added that the incident is a "terrible prank gone wrong," WABC-TV reported. The teen's family described him as a "good student" in court, per the news station. His next court date is May 31.
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India