A fake music festival in Belgium turned into chaos as police tried to disperse crowds of partygoers
- A fake music festival that started as an April Fools' Day prank led to multiple injuries and arrests.
- Attendees of the "La Boum" festival clashed with police at a park in Brussels, Belgium.
- Videos show police using water and pepper spray to break up thousands of people.
Police in Brussels, Belgium, clashed with partygoers who attended a fake music festival that violated the country's current COVID-19 measures.
Thousands of people congregated at Bois de la Cambre park for the April Fools' Day prank posed as a festival called LA BOUM. The event's anonymous coordinators and the city of Belgium warned the gathering was fake and that police presence would be ramped up before the event amid COVID-19 concerns, The Brussels Times reported.According to The Times, as attendees failed to leave the park, police in riot gear unleashed water cannons and used pepper spray to clear the crowd during the confrontation.
A video published by the New York Times shows the chaotic scene as Brussels police try to break up the crowds.
-The New York Times (@nytimes) April 3, 2021The incident is currently under investigation. Prime Minister Alexander De Croo on Twitter Friday called the gathering "totally unacceptable."
"I understand everyone is tired of corona," De Croo wrote, according to a translated version of the tweet. "But the rules are there for a reason and for everyone. Hospitals are filling up. Solidarity now is the key to freedom tomorrow."Belgium officials introduced stricter restrictions late last month in response to a third wave of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations, according to Reuters. Under the latest order, outside gatherings in the country are limited to four people. Schools, hair salons, and some stores were also set to close for four weeks. According to the Reuters COVID-19 tracker, Belgium has had 887,920 cases and 23,045 deaths from the coronavirus.
- Best pulse oximeters to keep a check on your SpO2 readings
- Poaching doubled during the lockdown in India due to the 'three F's', and these are the animals most under threat
- Android 12 Developer Preview 3: All the upcoming user-facing features revealed
- These are the hottest fintech and crypto jobs in India right now
- There is a virtual lockdown in the world’s fourth largest automobile market