A French bus driver died after he was attacked by a group of passengers who refused to wear face masks
- A French bus driver declared brain dead after he was attacked by a group of unmasked passengers, according to his family.
- Phillipe Monguillot, 59, was attacked in the south-western city of Bayonne on Sunday after he asked three passengers who were boarding the bus to wear a mask and tried to check another man's ticket.
- Two men were charged with attempted murder on Sunday, while another two men were charged with failing to help a person in danger.
- It is mandatory to wear face masks on public transport in
A French bus driver has died after he was attacked by a group of passengers who refused to wear face masks, his family says.
Doctors declared Phillipe Monguillot, 59, brain dead in hospital on Friday, his daughter Marie told AFP. "We decided to let him go. The doctors were in favor and we were as well," she said.Monguillot was assaulted in the city of Bayonne on Sunday after he asked three passengers who were boarding the bus to wear a mask and tried to check another man's ticket. It is mandatory to wear face masks on public transport in France.
The two men charged with attempted murder were previously known to police.The mayor of Bayonne has condemned the attack as a "barbaric act" as thousands took to the streets on Wednesday in a silent march organized by Monguillot's family, departing from the bus stop where the assault took place.
Monguillot's colleagues used their right to refuse to work after the attack but will go back to work on Monday under reinforced security, according to the Guardian.
- Read more:
- France has made wearing face masks compulsory in public, while maintaining a controversial ban on burqas and niqabs
- French people have been told to stop kissing each other on the cheek to stop the coronavirus from spreading
- French President Emmanuel Macron says the coronavirus pandemic will remake capitalism
- 20 London bus drivers died after catching the coronavirus so the city has made bus travel free and told passengers to only board by the middle doors
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days