A man set himself on fire after a matchmaking agency refused to arrange a marriage for him
- A 64-year-old South Korean man set himself on
fireduring a dispute with an international marriageagency.
- The man doused himself in gasoline and set himself ablaze with a lighter after being denied a match, local outlets reported.
A 64-year-old South Korean man set himself on fire after a heated dispute with a matchmaking agency that refused to arrange a marriage on his behalf.
According to a report from local
JoongAng Ilbo reported that the Jeju East police and fire departments responded to the incident on January 16 at around 1 p.m., local time. South Korean authorities did not disclose the company's name and identified the man only as "Mr. A."
Jeju East police and fire departments did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
According to South Korean news agency Yonhap News, the staff at the marriage agency attempted to throw water on the man and put out the fire. However, the man suffered third-degree burns to his face and body and remains unconscious. The police department added that it continues to investigate the incident.
An initial police probe found that the agency refused to provide the man with a match because he had previously been married to a foreign woman, Yonhap News reported. South Korean immigration laws prohibit applying for a second marriage visa for a foreign spouse within five years of receiving the first one.
Acts of self-immolation are rare but do happen in
- TCS, Wipro & Infosys saw a massive selloff after Walmart & Target’s revenues fell — explaining the domino effect
- Flipkart claims to be the second biggest ‘buy now, pay later’ player ahead of Paytm, Amazon
- Avantha Group promoter denied interim bail on his arrest for alleged misuse of ₹515 crore loan
- Zoho's ManageEngine to hire 1,000 people this year as part of expansion plans
- Goa has the highest car ownership in India, check out the states with highest and lowest car ownership
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction