A man set himself on fire after a matchmaking agency refused to arrange a marriage for him
- A 64-year-old South Korean man set himself on
fireduring a dispute with an international marriageagency.
- The man doused himself in gasoline and set himself ablaze with a lighter after being denied a match, local outlets reported.
A 64-year-old South Korean man set himself on fire after a heated dispute with a matchmaking agency that refused to arrange a marriage on his behalf.
According to a report from local
JoongAng Ilbo reported that the Jeju East police and fire departments responded to the incident on January 16 at around 1 p.m., local time. South Korean authorities did not disclose the company's name and identified the man only as "Mr. A."
Jeju East police and fire departments did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
According to South Korean news agency Yonhap News, the staff at the marriage agency attempted to throw water on the man and put out the fire. However, the man suffered third-degree burns to his face and body and remains unconscious. The police department added that it continues to investigate the incident.
An initial police probe found that the agency refused to provide the man with a match because he had previously been married to a foreign woman, Yonhap News reported. South Korean immigration laws prohibit applying for a second marriage visa for a foreign spouse within five years of receiving the first one.
Acts of self-immolation are rare but do happen in
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar