A Mississippi middle school offered female students shapewear, telling parents it could help give them a 'positive body image'
- A middle school sent a letter to parents about girls' self esteem and offered them shapewear.
- One parent said her "first instinct was to go up to the school and yell at every person I could find."
A middle school in Mississippi offered female students shapewear in an effort to help them with their body image before canceling the program after widespread outrage.
Parents received a letter from Southaven Middle School on Tuesday, which noted that "many women in the United States feel pressured to measure up to strict and unrealistic social and cultural beauty ideals, which can lead to a negative body image," CNN reported.
The letter noted the negative effect this can have on young girls, but said "we can take steps to help our girls develop a healthier body image."
It then said the school's counselors "would like to have an opportunity to offer some healthy literature to your daughter on maintaining a positive body image."
"We are also providing girls with shapewear, bras, and other health products if applicable," the letter said.
Read the letter here:
—Ashley Heun (@ashleyheun) January 11, 2022
The letter then asked parents to consent to their daughters receiving the items, and asked what size shapewear they would need, ranging from small to XXX-Large.
Ashley Heun, the mother of a 13-year-old student in the school, told CNN that when she got the letter, "I had to reread it a few times."
"My first instinct was to go up to the school and yell at every person I could find."
She said she wrote to the school to complain, and met with the principal on Wednesday, CNN reported.
She told CNN that he apologized and told her the program had been canceled.
The school district, DeSoto County Schools, told NBC's "Today" show that the program had been "discontinued."
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World