A Yellowstone tourist was sentenced to 4 days in jail after a video showed her refusing to move as a grizzly bear charged at her
- Samantha Dehring was filmed close to a grizzly bear and three cubs at Yellowstone in May.
- The US attorney's office in Wyoming said she stayed and took pictures as the bear charged toward her.
A woman was sentenced to four days in jail after refusing to move away from a grizzly bear and two cubs at Yellowstone National Park in May.
Bob Murray, the acting US attorney for the District of Wyoming, said on Thursday that Samantha Dehring, 25, pleaded guilty to "willfully remaining, approaching, and photographing wildlife within 100 yards."
His office said that Dehring did not move away from the bears as they approached, even as other park visitors did, and that she took pictures as the bear charged at her.
Watch the footage here:
-NBC Montana (@NBCMontana) May 12, 2021
"Approaching a sow grizzly with cubs is absolutely foolish," Murray said. "Here, pure luck is why Dehring is a criminal defendant and not a mauled tourist."
He added: "Wildlife in Yellowstone National Park are, indeed, wild. The park is not a zoo where animals can be viewed within the safety of a fenced enclosure. They roam freely in their natural habitat and when threatened will react accordingly."
Dehring was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and make a $1,000 community-service payment to the Yellowstone Forever Wildlife Protection Fund. She was also barred from the park for a year.
Murray said that another count against Dehring, of "feeding, touching, teasing, frightening, or intentionally disturbing wildlife," was dismissed.
- RBI to launch pilot of retail digital rupee on Dec 1
- Your mobile bills could up in 2023 as telcos focus on profitability
- Apple’s App Store awards 2022 winners — best applications and games of the year
- Trai releases recommendations on licensing framework for establishing, operating satellite earth station gateway
- India's G20 presidency will reflect interests of global south, says Jaishankar
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Germany Visa
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- Bank Loan
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World