An Iowa church bought and forgave $5 million in medical debt
churchin Iowabought and forgave $5 million of medical debt in the state.
- Rev. Minna Bothwell of a church in Des Moines told the Des Moines Register that the church was able to purchase $5 million of Iowa's medical debt for around $8,000 by partnering with "RIP Medical Debt," an organization that purchases and then abolishes debt.
- During the
coronaviruspandemic, many Americans have suffered expensive medical bills.
A church in Iowa says it bought and forgave $5 million of medical debt in the state.
Capitol Hill Lutheran Church in Des Moines, Iowa, announced last month in a video that the church had purchased and forgiven $5 million of Iowa's medical debt.
According to the church's "medical debt relief campaign" website, the church partnered with "RIP Medical Debt," an organization that purchases and then abolishes debt. The church said on its website that "on average, $1 is leveraged to abolish $100 in medical debt."
Rev. Minna Bothwell of the Capitol Hill Lutheran Church told the Des Moines Register that the church could purchase $5 million of Iowa's medical debt for around $8,000.
The church started another fundraiser to purchase and forgive medical debt in Missouri, a contiguous state of Iowa. According to the campaign website, the church has surpassed its goal to raise $20,000.
Earlier this year, Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young's organization also bought and forgave $1 million in medical debt through a $10,000 donation to RIP Medical Debt, Insider's Kelly McLaughlin reported.
During the coronavirus pandemic, many Americans have had to suffer the toll of paying expensive medical bills.
For example, an uninsured patient from New York City received a bill of over $30,000 after staying three nights at the hospital for coronavirus treatment, Business Insider's Kimberly Leonard reported in May.
One bankruptcy lawyer told Business Insider's Hillary Hoffower that the pandemic could increase bankruptcies.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- In India, less than one in every 10,000 jabs have led to serious adverse reactions — not necessarily due to the vaccine