Analyst says Cuomo is 'more motivated' to legalize marijuana in New York as calls mount for him to resign over sexual harassment allegations
- An analyst note from BTIG says that Gov. Cuomo is motivated to pass legislation legalizing
- The governor has been accused of sexual harassment by several women including former staff.
- Lawmakers introduced a
legalizationbill in January that is under negotiation.
In early January, 19 lawmakers filed a marijuana bill for the 2021 session that would legalize cannabis for adults 21 and older in New York to consume and grow. This is the fifth time a version of the bill has been proposed in New York since 2013.Cuomo expressed his support for the legislation in January in a daily press briefing. "I think this should've been passed years ago," Cuomo said. "I think too many people have been imprisoned, incarcerated, and punished," Cuomo said. "Too many of those people are Black, Latino, and poor. It's exaggerated the injustice of the justice system." Cuomo also noted that legalizing marijuana could help raise revenue against the state's $15 billion deficit.
BTIG analysts say that there could be a vote as early as this week before the state budget is due on April 1. Cuomo is "more motivated now to pass a highly popular piece of legislation that could have the added benefit of shifting public attention and and at the same time notch a win for the state and himself" the analysis says, as reported by Carl Quintanilla of MSNBC.Cuomo has previously said that 2021 would be a good time for potential legalization as neighboring state New Jersey votes to legalize marijuana.
- Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
- Sequoia and PayPal-backed Pine Labs completes a first close of $285 million funding round from new investors
- BJP spent significantly less on advertising during Kerala elections this year, its ad insertions on TV, Radio and Print decreased from 21% in 2016 to 1% in 2021
- Google I/O 2021: Here's what to expect from Google's biggest annual conference
- ISRO announces its decision to share technology to make portable medical oxygen concentrators developed by VSSC