Biden invokes the Defense Production Act to ramp up production of baby formula as parents face a national shortage
- President Joe Biden announced measures Wednesday to address the national baby-formula shortage.
- Invoking the Defense Production Act gives formula manufacturers priority in obtaining ingredients.
The White House on Wednesday announced measures to address the national shortage of baby formula, including President Joe Biden's move to invoke the Defense Production Act.
Invoking the act allows the government to require suppliers to send needed ingredients to baby-formula manufacturers ahead of any other customers, according to a statement announcing the move.
"Directing firms to prioritize and allocate the production of key infant formula inputs will help increase production and speed up in supply chains," the statement said.
Operation Fly Formula is another measure announced Wednesday. It will allow the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture to use military aircraft to pick up baby formula from overseas. The statement said the formulas from abroad must meet the Food and Drug Administration's safety standards.
"I've directed my team to do everything possible to ensure there is enough safe baby formula and that it is quickly reaching families that need it the most," Biden said in a video posted on Twitter Wednesday.
—President Biden (@POTUS) May 18, 2022
The measures come as empty shelves have left parents across America scrambling to find food for their babies, especially for infants with allergies who rely on specialty formulas.
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- ULIPs are not for senior citizens: Here’s how to choose the right investments to secure the golden years of your life
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career
- Samsung Galaxy A34 5G review: A Mid-range marvel