Brain-eating amoeba kills a 6-year-old boy in Texas, prompting officials to test the water supply to 8 cities
Brain-eating amoebacalled Naegleria fowleri killed Josiah McIntyre, 6, of Lake Jackson, Texas, on Sept. 8.
- His case prompted officials to issue a "Do Not Use Water Advisory" for eight cities while the
water supplywas tested. This advisory has been lifted, but residents are asked to boil water and exercise caution.
- Josiah McIntyre's mother, Maria Castillo, described being "angry and upset and sad and heartbroken." But, she said, "the fact that we know how he got it, how he contracted it, gives us peace of mind."
The death of a 6-year-old boy alerted Texas officials to the presence of a brain-eating amoeba in their water supply.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) has issued a water advisory to residents of eight cities that are served by the Brazosport Water Authority, according to CNN. People were warned not to ingest any water because it contained a deadly microscopic organism called Naegleria fowleri.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says this amoeba can be traced to soil and warm freshwater, which includes rivers, hot springs, and lakes, as well as insufficiently chlorinated swimming pools and heated tap water.
CNN reported that this incident began on Sept. 8 when authorities in Lake Jackson, Texas, were informed of Josiah McIntyre's hospitalization and death.Tests revealed that the brain-eating amoeba was in a water hose at the boy's house as well as at a splash pad at the civic center in Lake Jackson, which issued a disaster declaration.
"He was an active little boy. He was a really good big brother. He just loved and cared about a lot of people," his mother, Maria Castillo said, according to KTRK-TV, a local ABC station.Local authorities joined the CDC, the Texas Department of State Health Services, and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to test the water supply. Three out of 11 samples tested positive for Naegleria fowleri on Sept. 25, per CNN. The "Do Not Use Water" Advisory has been lifted for all Brazosport Water Authority users, but Lake Jackson residents are asked to boil water before consuming it, TCEQ announced on Twitter alongside other precautionary measures.
Josiah's mother, Maria Castillo, said at a benefit for him over the weekend that he was an active little boy. "He was a really good big brother. He just loved and cared about a lot of people," she said.
Naegleria fowleri infections are infrequent but mostly fatal, the CDC said. The agency recorded 145 cases between 1962 and 2018, and only four of those people survived.Castillo said she took solace in knowing what led to her child's death, according to KTRK-TV.
"I'm angry and upset and sad and heartbroken," she said. "It really means a lot to me because we want to know as a family for peace of mind. I know it doesn't bring him back. The fact that we know how he got it, how he contracted it, gives us peace of mind."
- UP to have cold chain space for 1.23L litres of vaccine
- Wuhan authorities now find Covid-19 on imported frozen food
- From WhiteHat Jr, Big Basket, and Unacademy to Dunzo — these are the Indian startups that reported data leaks over the past few months
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy