Churchgoers 'hog-tied' the legs of the gunman with an extension cord and confiscated his guns during California church shooting
- A gunman opened fire at a
churchin Laguna Woods, California, on Sunday.
- Police said parishioners displayed "heroism and bravery" by detaining the suspect.
A group of parishioners confronted a gunman who opened fire at their church in Southern California on Saturday, authorities said.
Police were called to the Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods on Sunday afternoon after a mass shooting at a lunch banquet that followed the morning service. One victim was pronounced dead at the scene while five who were injured, four critically, were transported to the hospital.
Orange County Undersheriff Jeff Hallock said churchgoers were able to quickly detain the suspect and tie him up before deputies arrived at the scene.
"We believe a group of churchgoers detained him and hog-tied his legs with an extension cord and confiscated at least two weapons from him," Hallock said during a press conference.
He said the churchgoers displayed "exceptional heroism and bravery in intervening to stop the suspect."
"They undoubtedly prevented additional injuries and fatalities," he said, adding there were about 30 to 40 people inside the church at the time of the
Deputies detained the suspect upon arrival and recovered two guns. The suspect has not been named but Hallock said he was an Asian male adult in his 60s. He added that police do not believe he is from the area and are investigating to determine a motive or whether the suspect was connected to the victims or the church.
Laguna Woods Mayor Pro Tem Cynthia Conners told reporters at the scene that most of the congregants present at the event where the shooting occurred were Taiwanese, adding that the church building is a shared space.
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know