COVID-19: South Africa nearly a third of Africa's cases
The latest daily update shows a worrying new trend as Gauteng province, home to South Africa's economic hub of Johannesburg, has a higher number of new cases than the hotspot of Western Cape province centered on the city of Cape Town.
Virus cases in Gauteng, which also contains the capital, Pretoria, now make up more than one-fifth of South Africa's total.South Africa continues to loosen its lockdown despite the rise in cases because of economic pressure, with casinos and beauty parlors the latest businesses allowed to open. Advertisement
Africa overall has more than 315,000 cases including more than 8,000 deaths. The true number of cases remains unknown because of the low level of testing on the continent due to a shortage of materials. (AP) SCY SCY
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Govt to come up with SOP for shooting films in India in wake of COVID-19 pandemic: Javadekar
- How risky is dining out during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- MP: Shops to be shut for 3 days in case of COVID-19 violations
- Fighting COVID-19, Noida cops step up for plasma donation
- Hand Sanitizer brands boosted their ad volume on TV by 105% during the lockdown: TAM