Customs officers seized 1,000 fake COVID-19 test kits they found stuffed in a suitcase
Customs and Border Protectionseized 1,000 fake COVID-19 test kits inside a man's suitcase, the agency announced Thursday.
- It's becoming a growing trend — customs officers seized a similar haul in March of six bags filled with apparently counterfeit
- The federal government has launched a crackdown on counterfeit products, scams, and other fraudulent activity related to the pandemic, issuing warning letters in some cases and pursuing fraud charges in others.
Officers from the Customs and Border Protection agency recently seized 1,000 counterfeit COVID-19 tests stuffed inside the suitcase of a man traveling to Mexico, the agency announced Thursday.
The agency said officers have seen a recent uptick in similar unapproved or fake products at the border."Some appear to be exploiting the pandemic for financial gain, leaving the consumer at risk," CBP said in a statement. "These products may result in serious consequences to the consumer, whether that end user is in the United States or another country."Advertisement
It's not the first time the agency has busted apparently fake COVID-19 test kits. In March, customs officers at the Los Angeles International Airport seized six bags full of small bottles labeled "Corona Virus 2019nconv (COVID-19)" and "Virus1 Test Kit."
The agency also announced Thursday that officers seized 1,000 masks, 2,740 mask filters, and 60 bottles of hand sanitizer from a woman at the Ysleta port of entry on May 17.
"All of the products were found to lack proper registration, labeling, and did not comply with criteria set by the Food and Drug Administration,"
Recently federal authorities arrested a New York man, alleging that he sold stolen coronavirus test kits to people for $200 and never provided any results. The Justice Department also pursued a similar case against the owner of a website that sold fake coronavirus test kits.Read the original article on Insider
- SpaceX sends 2 NASA astronauts to ISS in historic mission (2nd Ld)
- NASA and SpaceX blast off to space station
- Assam crosses 1,200-mark in COVID-19 with 159 new cases
- Nine deaths take Rajasthan's COVID-19 toll to 193; total cases 8,617
- Coronavirus cases cross 300-mark in Himachal as 18 more test positive; 24 recover