'Dating Game Killer' Rodney Alcala dies from natural causes in prison at 77
Rodney Alcalawas tried and convicted on seven counts of murder in his lifetime, although police suspect he killed many others.
- DNA evidence linked Alcala to the murders of four women in Orange County.
- Alcala was known as the "Dating Game Killer" because he was a contestant on the television show 'The Dating Game' in 1978.
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 29999₹ 29999Buy On
- 20% OFF
iQOO Z5 5G (Mystic Space, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) | Snapdragon 778G 5G Processor | 5000mAh Battery | 44W FlashCharge | Rs.1000 Coupon Discount₹ 23990₹ 29990Buy On
- 17% OFF
Redmi Note 10 Pro Max (Glacial Blue, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage) -108MP Quad Camera|120Hz Super Amoled Display₹ 18999₹ 24999Buy On
- 11% OFF
iQOO 7 Legend 5G (Legendary Track Design, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) | 3GB Extended RAM | Upto 12 Months No Cost EMI | 6 Months Free Screen Replacement | Extra Rs.3000 Off on Exchange₹ 39990₹ 44990Buy On
- 28% OFF
OPPO A31 (Mystery Black, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers₹ 11490₹ 15990Buy On
Alcala was known as the "Dating Game Killer" because he was a contestant on the television show "The Dating Game" in 1978. Host Jim Lange did not know that Alcala had already murdered at least five women and been charged with the attempted murder of a young girl when he introduced him as an eligible bachelor on the show, according to ABC News.
None of his victims were connected to the show.
In 2010, an Orange County jury convicted Alcala of five counts of first-degree murder, according to the
He was sentenced to death for the killing of 12-year-old Robin Samsoe, as well as the 1977 deaths of 18-year-old Jill Barcomb and 27-year-old Georgia Wixted; the 1978 death of 32-year-old Charlotte Lamb, and the 1979 death of 21-year-old Jill Parenteau, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said.
Following Alcala's conviction, authorities released more than 100 photos of unidentified women and children found in a storage unit that belonged to Alcala in an attempt to find out if there were further victims, CNN reported. Alcala lured women by offering to take their picture, according to The New York Times.
NBC News reported that three years later, Alcala was additionally sentenced to 25 years to life in
In 2016, prosecutors in Wyoming charged Alcala with the murder of Christine Ruth Thornton, who was 28 years old and six months pregnant when she disappeared in 1978, according to the news release from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
The department also said that investigators have either suspected Alcala of or linked him to other murders in Los Angeles and Marin County in California; Seattle, Washington; New York; New Hampshire; and Arizona.
- Has the legal battle between PhonePe and BharatPe over ‘Pe’ been going on for too long?
- A panel headed by a retired judge will probe if the Indian government used Pegasus to spy on journalists and other prominent citizens
- Sustainability in India is not just about 'going green’ but also topped with societal needs like equality, inclusiveness, and wellbeing: Report
- Fuel prices surged again by 35 paise per litre after a two-day break
- Cisco wants to make virtual meetings more immersive with real-time holograms of actual people just like sci-fi movies